So, you’ve decided to sell your house – that’s a big decision and one that is not taken lightly here at Diamond Properties! You’ve hired an excellent Brokerage House and we will create a fabulous marketing plan that will have you lined up for showings and open houses in no time. There are a number of ways you can ready your home for the process that will maximise sale price and shorten time on the market. Here are just a few ways you can prepare:-
- Tidy up your landscaping – it’s important that your home has “curb appeal” that can be seen as soon as you drive up to the property. Ensure that your lawn has been cut, your hedges have been pruned, your flowers are blooming and weeds have been trimmed.
- Clean the outside – dirty walls, sidewalks, doors and even gutters can be a real turn off to buyers. Power wash outside walls and sidewalks and give that front door an extra coat of paint.
- Depersonalize – potential buyers want to imagine their possessions in your home. When preparing for a showing, take down the family photos and any personal belongings and store them in a storage unit.
- Neutralize colours – even if royal purple is your favourite colour, it might not be everyone’s cup of tea. Repaint walls to a more neutral colour such as beige, white or off-white that will appeal to a wide range of buyers.
- Organize and de-clutter – untidy drawers and closets give the illusion that your home does not have adequate storage space. Once again, lock up any extra personal items and clutter in a storage unit.
- Clean the inside – now that the outside is sparkly clean, make sure that every surface in the house shines, from top to bottom.
- Smells – don’t cook smelly food in your home the day before a showing, as food smells linger. Wall plugins and candles help, try burning them during and after cooking, with windows open, to ensure your home doesn’t smell.
- Pets – we love them, but they can also be a source of odour. It’s best to remove pets from the home the day of a showing, even if they are clean. Pet hair could also be unappealing to pet-less buyers.
- Light – open up all of the windows in your home to show off the abundance of natural light. For rooms with less light, add floor lamps to brighten areas up.
- Spruce up the master – stock some washcloths with ribbon, add candles, real or faux plants, new bathmats and towels in accented colours to create a cozy, yet comfortable and relaxing atmosphere.
There are many inexpensive ways you can refresh your home in preparation for showings. If you would like further advice or assistance in readying your home to be sold, give us a call here at Diamond Properties.